Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Through The Breach!

Welcome to my blog! I recently discovered Malifaux and all its beautiful miniatures. After staring at those miniatures for several weeks, I finally found a set that spoke to me. As a robotics engineer, Hoffman and his iron monsters almost jumped out of the box while I held them.  They whispered metallic sweet nothings in my ear until I broke and bought them.

I was amazed at the detail of all the little fiddly bits, but I was terrified of how hard it was going to be to get them assembled. I'm used to GW metal models and holding parts together for what feels like hours, only to find I had glued my fingers together. All this ran through my head until my good friend Kennedy of kennedy40k.blogspot.com clued me into a magnificent technique. A little spit on one side of a joint and a little gorilla glue on the other sets within seconds.  The spindly arm of the guardian, swinging the bulky sword, held its own weight after 10-15 seconds. I don't know whether it's the acidity or the moisture or something else, but it might be the coolest thing I've ever seen.

So far I have Hoffman's box assembled and their bases constructed.  I went for a scheme that involves metal decking, and metal grates with bubbly green stuff underneath.  For the decking I used the plastic straps that secure pallets of boxes.  The grates are chopped up old speaker covers and a bug trap from the air intake of an old propane grill.  Once I have some of these things painted I'll get some pictures up.

Thanks for reading. My Malifaux posts will mostly be hobby related at first, but I'm going to include battle reports, tactics and other amusements once I get the hang of the Malifaux rules.  I only need one more piece (the mighty Peacekeeper) before I can start getting some 25ss games in.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that the spit trick has now been immortalized ;)

    ReplyDelete